The majority of journalism-specific scholarships are given each year at the Dean Stone Awards Banquet. Held every April, it is named in honor of the School of Journalism's first dean. Last year, we awarded just over $101,000 in scholarships and awards.
Very few of our scholarships require an application, and they are mostly given to students in the professional program who have demonstrated their commitment to journalism through their coursework and projects.
Below is a list of other scholarships - both internal and external. The School of Journalism does not verify scholarship opportunitites we receive, so please exercise caution when applying to external scholarships. Any scholarship with an application fee is one to think twice about.
- UM Scholarships
- Sam Reynolds Scholarship [PDF] (open to students in the School of Journalism only)
- Butte Press Club Scholarship [PDF] (open to students in the School of Journalism only)
- Madison S. Turner Scholarship
- Montana Community Foundation Scholarships
- Peter Agris Memorial Scholarship (open to Greek-American students in journalism and communications, national scholarship)
- California Chicano News Media Association (Latino students interested in pursuing careers in print, broadcast or online journalism)
- David S. Barr Award (high school and college journalism students with focus on social justice)
- Robert Novak Collegiate Journalism Awards (student's work demonstrates an understanding of the basic ideas that support a free society)
- Roy W. Howard National Collegiate Reporting Competition (award is 10 day study tour of Japan)